About Me

My photo
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States

Friday, September 9, 2011

Quilt Layout Dilemma

Among the many beautiful things my MIL left to me, I recently discovered this very pretty bag.  It is flannel and it contained some very pretty flannel blocks.  88 each of 6" four patch and half square triangles.  I want to find a lovely setting for these blocks for a gift that I need to make quickly.  I thought of Jacob's Ladder right away but the four patches are really too big for the traditional setting I'm familiar with.  I tried to lay it out in a similar fashion which probably has a name but the problem is...  there really isn't good definition between the lights and the darks (I'm not dissing my beloved MIL, I've done the same thing - see strip twist blocks above).
 See - sometimes it is clear which is the light fabric but I'm afraid a lot of these are medium.  Mediums are great.  They don't work very well in this setting though so - I'm asking for suggestions.  What do I do with roughly 166 of these blocks?



Fabric for the backing and binding were in the bag along with the blocks but (unusually) no pattern.

Any ideas???

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting dilemna. I wonder if she intended for it to have low contrast & maintain a scrappy look? If you want to stash bust your own stash, create some more blocks of greater changes in value & separate these quilt blocks into 2 quilts maybe?
    While the jacob's ladder may not be as pronounced as what you're expecting to see, I do think the pattern works well as you have it. Your second picture you definitely get the feeling of the diagonal stripes. Has a completely scrappy feel to it, but that's not all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to be so unoriginal, but I agree with everything Darla said! These are very pretty, scrappy blocks. Work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it will look great the way it is. The fabric looks homey and would make a great comfy quilt. :-)
    But I am new to quilting, so I don't really have the eye for contrast yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these scrappy blocks, and the bag is adorable. Have you been to quiltville? Bonnie Hunter has a lot of patterns/ instructions that use these basic units. I made one like the blue and white one on this page, I used all blue, white, and grey batiks. http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/leaders-enders-whys-and-hows.html

    Daisy from Lazy Daisy Quilts Podcast
    verylazydaisy.blogspot.com
    verylazydaisy.podomatic.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful as they are, Lauren!! I totally love the scrappy look that is taking form here! Once all done it will be stunning!

    ReplyDelete